ADVISOR TO SENATOR OBAMA
· 2002: Meeks and Obama become colleagues in the Illinois state senate.
· April 2004: Barack Obama tells a reporter from the Chicago Sun-Times that he had three spiritual mentors or counselors: Jeremiah Wright, James Meeks and Father Michael Pfleger.1
· April 2004: Meeks appears in television advertisements for Obama’s U.S. Senate campaign2;
· Spring 2004: Obama campaigns for U.S. Senate at Meeks’ Salem Baptist church2;
· Mar 2004: The night he won the Democratic primary for U.S. Senate, Obama made Reverend Meeks’ church the final destination of his victory celebration3.
· August 2004: Men’s News Daily reported “Obama’s closest religious advisers to be Father Michael Pfleger, the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, and Reverend James Meeks.”4
· Nov 2005: Meeks is appointed by Obama to his presidential exploratory committee;5
· Jan 2006: Meeks’ church choir performed at a rally for Obama the night he announced he would run for president;6
· May 2006, soon after he announced his candidacy, Obama delivers another speech from Meek’s pulpit;7
· 2008: Meeks announces he will be supporting Obama as delegate to the 2008 convention and is listed as a prominent contributor on Obama’s campaign web site
References: Advisor to Senator Obama
1 Obama's Friends Are Hardly Admirable, Hitchens, Sun-Times. 04/12/08